Saturday, September 6, 2008

Hitler - Reflections by a Student

By Sharon L. George, Grade 9, HRS, TTL.


INTRODUCTION

Hitler’s reign in German unfolds a story of violence and tyranny. The Nazi ideology that Hitler followed is based on some hypothetical theory which he believed to be true. Nazism is not about some isolated acts but was a system, structure of ideas about the world and politics. Nazi Germany changed the lifestyles of the people. Even young children were affected by it. Let us see what some people have to say about their lives affected by Hitler’s activities.

HELMUTH’S SONG
(A BOY NAMED HELMUTH WRITES ABOUT THE INCIDENTS THAT SHOOK HIM AND TERRIFIED HIM.)

In my bed as I lay one night,
I sensed that all wasn’t right.
As I heard my father say,
That he in death may lay.

The Allies were the cause of his fear
Due to which from my eyes fell many a tear.
Next day to the woods he took me,
Where we sang old songs in glee.

Then I saw him being burnt in the fireplace,
For having been among the cruelest of the human race.
I was shocked by what I overheard that night,
And later what came to my very own sight.

I refused to eat at home for nine long years,
Whether my mother would poison me
was among my main fears
.
A Nazi was my father I know to this date,
Due to which he met his leader Hitler’s fate.
Hitler persecuted the crippled and the Jews,
Whom he tortured and killed with no proper excuse.

NAZI’S BLOODFILLED VIEW
(A HISTORIAN WRITES WHAT SHOCKED HIM ABOUT HITLER’S RULE AND HOW FOOLISH IT SEEMS TO BE.)

I know not how man could be so cruel,
Declaring that a specific race alone is worthy of survival.
A man born earth,
Is meant to live and die at God’s destined time.
Then how can some man-made theory prove it wrong?
How can some insane politician kill people to fulfill is imperial ambition?
Hitler was such a man who dreamt,
Of creating a racial state,
Which consisted of pure Nordic Germans,
Considered worthy of existence on this planet.
For which he mercilessly killed innocent people,
And tagged them ‘undesirable’.
Germany was like a box of various coloured balls,
And its inhabitants were the balls.
Hitler removed the balls he didn’t like,
Telling some rubbish, unconvincing excuse.
He caused a fracture to the chain of brotherhood,
And holes to the umbrella of humanity,
Which were too big for anyone to repair,
Too scary for anyone to forget.

CONCLUSION
We have seen what people had to say about Hitler’s rise affecting them. It is not the story of one or two people but of many who were victims of his bitterness. The Nazis denied various minorities the right to live. Hitler’s rule paid utmost importance to racial differences. He wished to form and run a state as per his will. Though he was not completely successful in this endeauvour,he partly fulfilled it. His setback was that he never attempted to understand what the people wanted.